If you have any additional resources that you feel will help the Atlanta Muslim community to deal with this tragedy, please email info@AtlantaMuslim.com
This morning, we woke up to the news that at multiple lives were lost and many people were injured when a gunman opened fire in 2 Christchurch Mosques (Masjid Al Noor and Linwood Masjid Mosque) during Friday prayers on Friday 15/3/2019. Our community needs some resources to deal with this horrific news. Below are some resources and recommendations broken down under the various roles you may find yourself in.
While the perpetrators must be held to full account, we must also question the culture of hate and demhumanization that produced them. White supremacist terrorism kills more Americans than any other ideologically motivated violence and yet it is not taken seriously. Bigotry is not only immoral, It is also lethal.
- Talking to Children About Current Events is a excellent resource for parents from the Al Fatih Academy.
- The Family and Youth Institute has provided a grief support toolkit from FYI.
- Mental Health for Muslims in Times of Crisis Talking Points
- Talking to Children about Hate Crimes from the National Child Traumatic Stress Network.
- There is a hotline within the Muslim community: 1-866-Naseeha.
- Response from Imam Yahya Ibrahim for talking points.
- Contact Council on American-Islamic Relations Atlanta Chapter (CAIR)
- Islamic Speakers Bureau of Atlanta (ISB) for information on Islam and American Muslims serving the metro Atlanta area and beyond.
- Masjid At Taqwa / New Zealand Islamic Info Centre has a LaunchGood campaign. All funds raised are going to be distributed to the families by NZIIC
Please send a message the your Interfaith partners and allies in the community to shoulder the Muslim community today during the Friday prayers, especially when our children are off in many of our cities across the states observing the spring break holidays, to ensure that we show solidarity and unity in the face of bigotry and we will not back down as one people when it comes to such violence nor will we succumb to the fear that is being pushed through such acts of violence.
- DHS Active Shooter Preparedness Guide: that includes how to conduct Security Assessments: A Guide for Schools and Houses of Worship Webinar.
- Protective Security Advisors advice community members protecting critical infrastructure.
- FEMA guidance on fundamentals of planning and developing emergency operations plans
- Protecting your house of worship recorded webinar